Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Reaction to 5,6 & 7(:

Chapter 5
      I think its cool (page 21, first paragraph) how the Master Daniel lloyd treats him kinda nice. I took it as the Master sometimes sticks up for him and doesnt let the others to impose on him. Then it was like just the opposite because he wips him which isnt very nice. I dont think anyone should ever get wiped. I think its funny how then later they share cakes together. I know hes not bipolar but I believe the Master and Douglass have a relationship where he favors him more. I hate how he was naked for most the time because he didint have clothes or socks to wear. Thats crazy to me. I would feel soooooooo weird if I had to walk around 8 thousand people. To me clothes are essential. You absoultly need them, look at our world today. We have the no shoes, no shirt, no servie policy. Back then it was normal to be naked. I think id be ten times worse if you were self concious. I also think its sad that when he left the Colonel Lloyds platation he left with joy. To me I would want to stay in one place for a really long time and not have to worry about leaving and trying to fit in with those people that are there. Or adjust to what THAT master want from me. I respect that when he left it felt joy because probably leaving somewhere ment they were going to a better place, and I guess that was hopfull. He calls this departure the most interesting events of his life. (page 23 paragraph 3) I think what stood out most to me in this whole chapter was when he said (page 23 last paragraph), " I prefer to be true to mysel." To me its good thats hes thinking that and haveing a good attitude about the whole situation.

Chapter 6
        He met a very kind woman and he was happy that there really was someone that could treat him good when he met her. There he learned the ABC's. (page 24 paragraph 3) I though in this paragraph was very men because the man of the house was saying sude things that i dont want to post. Basically saying it was unlawfull that slaves should read. Mr. Auld was saying that he is to obey his master and if he learns to read and write then he(douglass) really isnt a slave anymore because he's smarter than all the other slaves. Which in a way is true butt he could only make a better life for himself and I think thats a very good thing.

Chapter 7
        He went to Master Hugh's fa,ily and he was there for seven years. He now knew how to read and write. He started reading a book in which he read whenever he could. To me this is just saying what the book is about and him realting this to the book. To be honest I cant even concentrate because ive been doing this for song long and my head hurts. This last chapter was hard for me to understand.

2 comments:

  1. lol:]] like always your the first one i look at:]] Well i like your blog bre, its nice to read an i can totally tell the clothing part always gets to you:] jaja the fist part of the story::: master getting close to him<< stood out to me to..I like reading you blogs:]] ily♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree,

    I really like you how refereed to specific pages and paragraph numbers in your response. This makes it easy for me to see what parts of the novel sparked certain responses for you.

    I also think it was important that you identified the connection between Douglass' master's views on education as connected to slavery. Well done.

    ReplyDelete